This weekend, I really fancied an open-faced sandwich, but had no bread in the house. I shuffled through the cupboards and found a bag of sweet potatoes and decided to see what sweet potato ‘bread’ tasted like. Stay with me… it was pretty good.
I brushed an oven tray with olive oil and grilled them for 20 minutes on each side.
And topped with some mashed avocado, broccoli spouts and pulled pork that I had in the fridge. A simple, yet filling lunch, so these are definitely getting added into my lunch repertoire!
What you need:
1-2 large sweet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
Any desired toppings – the sky’s limit here! Anything you would normally put on toast, from sweet to savoury, you can put on these sliders!
A large baking tray
How to make it:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1 cm slices
- Brush both sides of the sweet potato slices with the olive oil
- Put the tray into the oven on the highest shelf and bake for 20 minutes or until they are soft and slightly browning.
- Take the tray from the oven and turn the sliders over and bake for another 20 minutes or until they match the texture and colour of the other side.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Top with your chosen toppings and enjoy!