We’re into the dog days of summer and the weather has gotten exceptionally warm here in London. No complaints here – I adore hot weather and any opportunity to spend some time getting some vitamin D.
Happily, my enforced furlough at work has coincided with this heatwave and I’ve been spending a lot of time in the kitchen, playing around with new recipes and ingredients.
Last week, I tried the Beetroot Crisps recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow’s new book, It’s All Easy. It wasn’t successful for me, so I made my own twist on the recipe. I knew it was successful when I got a text from M telling me they were ‘the bomb’. 😊
What you need:
2 large sweet potatoes, washed. (don’t bother peeling them – the skin has loads of nutrients!)
4 tbsp dukkah spice blend
4 tbsp olive oil
How to make it:
- Preheat your oven to 175C.
- Place your mandoline over a small bowl and use it to make circles of sweet potato. Slice up both sweet potatoes.
- Use a baking brush and brush 1 tbsp of olive oil over a large baking tray.
- Place the sweet potato circles on the tray, making sure they are evenly spaced and don’t overlap.
- Brush 1 tbsp olive oil over the sweet potatoes, making sure they only have a light coating. Too much olive oil and the sweet potatoes won’t crisp up.
- Take 2 tbsp of the dukkah spice blend and sprinkle it over the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over the sweet potatoes.
- Place the tray into the top shelf of the oven for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, move the tray to bottom shelf of the oven.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and repeat steps 3-10 with the rest of the ingredients.